Tuesday, June 24, 2014

sunday, monday

Yesterday,  I decided to head south from Tok, skipping the 375 miles from Tok to the Arctic Circle.  Variety of reasons, but mostly I was ready to go home.
Gorgeous ride down the Alcan (I know it's not called the Alcan anymore,  but it works for me.) The road runs along the border if Kline National Park with stunning lakes and the St. Elisa Mountains.  Quite a bit of construction on the Yukon side. Lots of gravel and water trucks.
I saw a couple if grizzlies. Went back to get a picture if one but he was quicker than I.
In Yukon, bridge crosses a little crick at the bottom of a narrow canyon. They call it Georges Gorge. Yukon humor.
Today was a bit trying.  The Cassiar is a beauty --2 lanes, no shoulder, no center stripe and black bear around every corner.  In other words, handsome but slow.  Like some people I've met through the years.
Nice breakfast this morning with Penny, th e operator for three days now of the cafe at Johnsin's Crossing.  Historic placr. Part of the as r my hung out there while building the Alcan in 1942. Jaw-dropping bridge over the Teslin River.  The bike does get squirmy on those steel grate bridges.
Camped tonight at Shadow mountain near Iskut on the Cassiar (hwy. 37.) Thanks heavens for DEET.






No comments:

Post a Comment