Saturday, June 21, 2014




Awesome day. Heavy rains early this a.m. left Dawson "pavement" a mess... and I had Top of the World Hwy ahead. 100 miles of gravel turned out to be 60 miles of great mud and 40 miles of (sometimes soft) gravel. More than one biker went down today.
Eric, Chiletha and I -- riding companions for the dsy, met them last night at Dust2Dawson dinner --dropped as it pressure in our tires to 24 front 27 rear and proceeded to ride carefully. Lots of slipping and sliding,  no sudden inputs, momentum is your friend, thank goodness for Heidenau tires -- K 60s would have been better than my K 76s,  but what I have got the job done.
West of Chicken the road becomes mostly paved, but it was on a paved curve that we saw the upside-down motorhome.
Much of this road is at elevation and the vegetation is stunted because the ground stays frozen much of the year and root systems done develop.
We did traverse a designated 'federal subsistence hunting area' and nobody shot at us.
Today I decided to turn home from Tok rather than continue north.  I've seen bear, moose,  elk, glaciers, the Klondike, crossed the Yukon,  motorbiked in alaska,ridden wooden bridges and steel grate bridges. Still to come is the Cassiar Hwy, Hyder glacier,  Idaho panhandle and Flathead Lake. That's a lot of amazing stuff;  I'm ready to go see Jessica.





So I'm skipping the Arctic Circle. It's been awesome, lots of awesome still ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment