Monday, September 13, 2021

Raton to Cody

 Damn mosquitoes!

I failed to post yesterday so today is a twofer.

I run out of superlatives on these trips so let me just say Hwy 60 from Walsenberg to Texas Creek is sublime. There to Salida ain't bad but much more heavily trafficked.

From Salida I wandered up through South Park... Fairplay, Alma... Still not a bad place for cremains IMO.

Upppp and over Hoosier Pass -- 11,500 feet -- to catch high-altitude aspens in their glory.

Northward through Breckenridge/Dillon traffic to Kremmling, catching the edge of Middle Park, and head for Walden, county seat of Jackson and the North Park. Lots of moose in North Park. I saw none.

Across the border through a brief deluge (afternoon showers are routine in the Rockies) to Lazy Acres RV park and campground. Congenial host, pleasant setting in Riverside, WY -- population 52.

Awakened at 3 by a barely perceptible change in weather. The breeze freshened. I knew what was coming. At 4, lightning, thunder and lots of rain. The tent is not as waterproof as I thought.

By 6:30 it was apparent the rain was here for a while. I carried sleeping bag and pad to the restroom... A dry place to roll them and jam them in their stuff sacks. The tent and rain fly I packed wet.

Breakfast beside the North Platte in Saratoga. Good french toast, superb bacon.

Between Saratoga and Riverton, there's nothing. Almost. I stopped at a historic marker beside the old Emigrant Trail. I learned that Mormon emigrants generally stayed south of the Sweetwater to avoid conflict with other west-bound wagon trains.

Wind River Canyon is spectacular, long and crooked. Worth the time to travel it. Especially on 2 wheels.

Cody tonight. Bought a Walmart tent. It looks and feels like it's worth every penny. We'll find out, I'm sure.

Tomorrow Bear Tooth Pass and Chief Joseph Hwy en route to Great Falls.






No comments:

Post a Comment